Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Calgon take me away

Dear Gentle Readers-
Yes, this post is late. Yes, all emails that normally get sent out in the morning will be late. I knew that today would be a crazy day. When I woke up at 5am, I thought, when will I be able to have some quiet, down time today? Well, I reasoned in the early hours and came up with a list of viable and soul nurturing quiet times during my early morning, early afternoon. I had quite a few things to get done today-- finish my lectionary analysis, look up some info on the library, work on a book for study, a book for pleasure and then just have some quiet, no assignment time to listen to music, to watch the yellow leaves fall off the tree. Carving out these quiet times makes a busy and chaotic day a little easier to swallow.

I knew that the kitchen sister wouldnt be here today as she had errands and that I would be responsibile for checking in with the cook, coordinating the dishwasher and just making sure that everything got done. Usually not a problem, until today! Well, it all went to hell in a handbasket fast! When I came down at 930 am, I knew that the dishwasher wouldnt be there til noon, so I decided to do the dishes. I actually enjoy doing the dishes as we have this high power machine that takes about 1 second for the rack of dishes to be steam cleaned. I thought, I'll do a nice favor for the dishwasher. I told the cook I'd check in with him around 1215 pm or so since we like to eat at 1230pm. When I arrived at the kitchen after noon day office, the cook said, "uhm, I hate to tell you this, but the dishwasher isnt coming at all." OH CRAP!! This sent us into a fit, we start brewing coffee, setting the tables, filling waters, etc, etc. This is normally part of the dishwashers job. Meanwhile the over 80's are gathering outside and watching and trying to figure out what in God's name is going on.

So Lunch got served, fortunately, and then the fun began. It was me for the most part. And this time, washing the dishes was not as much fun. No longer was I captivated by the quickness of the machine. Now it just seemed that there was one load after another and silverware, dishes and mugs kept appearing like something out of the dancing kitchen scene in Beauty and the Beast. I was getting water everywhere; my apron was soaked, my shoes were soaked, the floor was wet and as I'm wiping the floor with what I think is a regular towel, anothe sister comes running in and says, "no!!! that towel isnt for that....and did you save food for someone who wasnt here.." Well, no, no one told me about the towels or the food. Oh well.

It took us almost 50 minutes to get the dishes done, washing the serving dishes, pack up the food, etc. The entire time, I kept realizing and appreciating the grunt work that even postulants dont have to do. I trudged upstairs for a 20 minute break before a class and the only thing I wanted to do, besides moisturize my hands was call the raccoon.

I just had a 2 hour lectionary class. I'm off to another meeting, then choir, then Evening Prayer...and well, if you thought being a postulant was all angelic singing, think again. It's a lot of work, phsyical, mental and emotional.

Love and lots of hand lotion,
monk_1975

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But being a postulant is still better than being a jarhead --- OR IS IT!!!

Palmolive: softens hands while you do dishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home